Physarum polycephalum sclerotia.
Physarum polycephalum (Myxocomycete or slime mould). Sclerotia are the dormant stage of the life cycle and can retain its viability up to a year.
Supplied as a vial of dried sclerotia on filter paper strips. Easily regenerated to form plasmodia by adding water.
Physarum polycephalum develops bright orange-yellow plasmodia and is readily cultured so that all stages can be studied and observed. Takes around 2-3 days to culture after receipt.
Please contact us before placing larger orders. Live plasmodia may also be available.
Plasmodia can be grown using a range of techniques including agar or simply on kitchen roll.
A simple protocol is outlined below.
What you need
1) a plastic dish (petri dish is ideal)
2) water (tap or distilled)
3) kitchen roll or filter paper
4) Physarum polycephalum sclerotia (ideally less than 1 year old)
5) Porridge oats (not instant porridge)
1) Cut a paper disc to fit the bottom of your dish. Add tap water and drain.
2) Place a piece of dried sclerotia in the centre
3) Place a whole porridge oat nearby
4) Add lid and keep in the dark (a drawer or cupboard) at room temperature.
5) Shower and feed daily (see below).